Report a Student Concern

Reporting a Student Concern / Filing a Formal Complaint

Student complaints can be classified into four major areas: Academic, Non-academic, Discrimination or Harassment, or Appeals to any of these areas.

Xavier University practices a mutually respectful environment conducive to student learning and development. In doing so, the University acknowledges that students can offer valuable information about the performance of the university in meeting goals and providing services as art of our mission. Consistent with this aim, the University invites feedback and is committed to addressing student dissatisfaction. Each college generally presents their policies and procedures at Orientation or in catalogs or handbooks. When a problem or issue arises, students are advised to seek information and assistance through the various processes and procedures, including student governance organizations, instituted to receive and respond to student concerns regarding faculty/staff, another student, programs or services.

When registering concerns or complaints, students must follow the appropriate procedures. If a student has any question about the applicable procedure to follow for a particular complaint, the student should contact the Office Vice President for Student Affairs at (504) 520-7359  
Student Complaint procedures and policies

A student who has a concern regarding a policy or procedure or about the behavior of a University faculty/staff member that does not fall within any of the categories listed above, or dissatisfaction with a specific college experience, the concern will be handled as follows: Students are encouraged to speak directly with the individual (faculty/staff member) or office (financial aid, housing, etc.) that is most closely involved with or responsible for the situation that is the cause of the concern. Appropriate University staff will review the matter presented by the student and determine whether any action is required. The Dean of Students, or designee, may serve as an advocate and/or third party mediator if agreed by all parties and the situation warrants. Options for Informal Resolution: 1. Take no further action 2. Make comments or suggestions regarding the issue, or 3. If this communication does not lead to a satisfactory resolution, or such a discussion is not deemed appropriate, the student may file a formal written complaint Student Complaint Procedures and Policies

After an attempt for informal resolution of the matter is unresolved and there are irreconcilable differences, or informal resolution was deemed not appropriate, a formal complaint may be filed. (See Full Policy) 1. Complete the Student Complaint form online or mail /campus delivery to: Vice President of Student Services Attn: Dean of Students 4801 Dixon Street 305 University Center (campus delivery) New Orleans, LA 70125 Email: Phone: 504.520.7359 2. Provide the following documentation to support your complaint: • Name and contact information (including valid email address and phone number) • A clear description of the specific action, practice or decision that is being reported and its impact • Appropriate supporting documentation that is directly related to the complaint • A description of the desired outcome and why it should be granted • A description of any subsequent action taken by the student or the university A response acknowledging receipt and outlining how the complaint will be addressed will be provided in writing within fourteen (14) business days of receipt of the complaint. Regular updates on the status of progress toward resolution of the complaint will be communicated to the student in the event resolution requires additional time beyond sixty (60) days. Any previous attempts to resolve the issue should also be described. NOTE: All formal Student Complaints must be submitted in writing on the Student Complaint form. A complaint reported by telephone will not be considered as submitted for review.

Students have the right to withdraw a complaint at any time during the process, in which case the complaint shall be registered as concluded and noted as withdrawn. If the complaint was made in writing, the withdrawal should also be in writing to the person handling the complaint. Students who choose to withdraw complaints must include their reasons for withdrawal.

Student Complaint Form

Please refer to the Student Complaints Policy before filling out this form. This form is to be used to submit a formal complaint
students have been unable to satisfactorily resolve with the faculty, staff, students, or others involved.

Please complete all fields so your complaint may be directed to the proper university officials.

Complaints may be submitted anonymously; however, unless you include your contact information, the University will be unable to investigate your complaint or respond back to you regarding the subject matter. Submit the form to


For a complaint concerning any of these areas, please follow the link to the proper resource:

Academic Integrity Policy (College of Arts and Sciences / College of Pharmacy). form before a SEVIS I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility) will be issued.

Any student who wants to dispute a decision made regarding academic misconduct or academic dishonesty.

Student Code of Conduct.

Any student misconduct that violates University Policy, Procedures or Standards

Discrimination, Harassment, or Sexual Misconduct.

Any student who has experienced treatment or consideration based upon ethnicity, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation or disability, or any form of sexual misconduct, including sexual harassment and sexual assault. (contact Title IX Coordinator, Human Resources or Senior Conduct Officer)

Amendments or Termination of Policy.

The University reserves the right to modify, amend or terminate these procedures at any time.

Contact Us

Office of Student Affairs

504.520.7357 |