Xavier University of Louisiana offers a number of scholarships to its students. New first-time freshmen students are considered for merit-based scholarships when they are reviewed for admission. A list of scholarships that students may receive can be found below.
|Board of Trustees Scholarship||The Board of Trustees Scholarship satisfies tuition, fees, and room & board costs for students who are awarded.|
|Presidential Scholarship||The Presidential Scholarship satisfies tuition and fees for students who are awarded.|
|Saint Katharine Drexel Scholarship||The St. Katharine Drexel Scholarship satisfies tuition and fees for students who attend a Catholic high school within the United States and are the Valedictorian or Salutatorian of their high school graduating class.|
|Norman C. Francis Scholarship||The Norman C. Francis Scholarship satisfies tuition and fees for students who attend a public high school within Orleans or Jefferson Parishes and are the Valedictorian or Salutatorian of their high school graduating class.|
|Xavier University Academic Scholarships||Xavier University Academic Scholarships are partial, merit-based scholarships awarded to students based on information submitted with the application for admission.|
|Xavier University Academic Transfer Scholarships||Xavier University Academic Transfer Scholarships are partial, merit-based scholarships awarded to transfer students based on information submitted with the application for admission.|
New First-Time Freshmen Scholarship Information
The University has identified a number of scholarship search websites that can be used by new and continuing students to locate information about non-Xavier scholarships. These websites are:
- FinAid: The Smart Students Guide to Financial Aid Scholarships
- College Board Scholarship Search
- Federal Scholarships & Aid Gateways 25 Scholarship Gateways from Black Excel
- Resources and Aid For Re-Entry Student
Searching for External Scholarships: Supplemental Funding for Your Future
Recognizing that the decision to attend college involves an investment of resources, many of our students apply for scholarship funds from sources outside of Xavier University.
Many organizations such as churches, sororities and fraternities, social and civic organizations, foundations, postsecondary schools, public and private corporations, ROTC, and various Veteran Support Bills provide scholarships and grants to college students.
Xavier encourages all students to seek and explore external or outside funding opportunities. Students are required to report any outside or external scholarship funding to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
External/outside scholarships are considered as a resource and are calculated against the cost of attendance. In compliance with federal, state, institutional and stipulated donor directives, should any scholarship create an over-award, Xavier is required to prevent the over-award by reducing loans, work-study, grants and/or scholarships. Adjustments are made at the time that the external funds are received.
External/outside scholarships are also processed in accordance with the donor’s directives and cannot exceed the cost of attendance components (tuition, mandatory fees, and room and board.) Donor directives may indicate that the funding can only be applied to certain educational expenses i.e., tuition and or tuition and fees. Typically, the donor award letters will identify the educational expenses to be covered and the time framework of the award i.e. semesters. In addition, the award letters will often reference adjustments that may be made to the recipient’s institutional aid as a result of the new funding.
Xavier University is a UNCF supported school. Therefore, some UNCF scholarships are used to underwrite University academic scholarships.
University-affiliated endowed funds are used to underwrite the University academic scholarships for the same value.
Given that external funding may be received at any time during the academic year, aid adjustments may also be made throughout the academic year.
Scholarship Search Databases
The University has identified a number of scholarship search databases that can be used by new and continuing students to locate information about external scholarships. These websites are:
United Negro College Fund (UNCF, Xavier is a member school.)
UNCF is the nation’s largest private scholarship provider for minority group members. Each year, they award more than $100 million in scholarships to more than 10,000 students at more than 1,100 schools across the country, including the prestigious network of 37 HBCUs.
UNCF Scholarships in varying amounts are available to students who meet the following criteria;
• Minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale ( some scholarships require 3.0 GPAs)
• Full-time enrollment in a college or university, presently or prospectively
• FAFSA application completed
• Financial need verified by the financial aid director of the college or university you wish to attend
All eligible Xavier students are encouraged to complete the UNCF General Scholarship application each Fall semester.
- Adventures in Education (AIE)
- Best Colleges
- Black Excels
- College Board
- College Insight
- College NET
- College Toolkit
- Diversity Abroad
- Education Corner
- Fin Aid
- Go College
- International Education Financial Aid
- Military officers’ Association of America
- Scholarship Monkey
- Scholarship search by Sallie Mae
- Scholarship Soup
- Scooters 'N Chairs Student Scholarship
- Sports Management Scholarships
- Study Abroad Funding
- Taco Bell Foundation Live Mas
Additional Scholarship Links:
- American Indian Graduate Center Scholars
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- Ron Brown Scholar Program
- Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholarships
- Thurgood Marshall Scholarship
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Educational Advancement Foundation
- Harry S. Truman Scholarship
- NIH Undergraduate Program
- GE Funds and LULAC Scholarship Program
- Burger King Scholars Program
- Bienecke Scholarship
- Coca-Cola Two Year College Scholarships
- INROADS internships
- Luard Scholarship
- NIH Undergraduate Scholarships
- Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford
- Siemens Westinghouse Competition
- Student Inventors Scholarship
- JW Carmichael, Jr. Pre-Medical Scholarship