Getting Started with The Office of Disability Services
If you need disability accommodations while at Xavier, you will be working with The Office of Disability Services (ODS). Our office works cooperatively with other university departments to provide accommodations for students in and out of the classroom. Check out the links below for help with specific situations or continue down the page for information about registering for academic accommodations at ODS.
- Accommodations for Temporary Illness or Injury
- On-Campus Housing Accommodations
- Additional information for on-line students
- Documentation Requirements
Requesting Academic Accommodations at ODS
Xavier University of Louisiana provides academic accommodations for students to ensure equal access. These accommodations are provided with guidance from Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable federal and state regulations that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability.
Under these laws, students with a documented disability have a right to receive reasonable accommodations. Additionally, students have the following responsibilities:
- Apply to Xavier University of Louisiana
- Complete ODS Accommodation Request Form
- Email disability documentation
- Respond to requests for information from ODS
- Complete an ODS orientation
- Request accommodations each academic semester following the ODS Timeline for Service Requests.
- Follow the policies and procedures outlined in the ODS Student Handbook
Apply to Xavier University of Louisiana
Disclosing your disability in the application process is not required. Applying for academic accommodations is a separate and confidential process through the ODS office.
Register with ODS and Submit Disability Documentation
To ensure you have accommodations in place when you begin classes, we recommend that you submit an application and documentation to ODS immediately after you are admitted to Xavier.
- Please review our Documentation Information Form.
- Register with ODS using our online registration form. You can also upload and submit documentation when you are finished filling out the required information.
- Please allow two to four (2-4) weeks for the ODS registration and review process before requesting accommodations for the first time.
- If you are unable to upload documentation using our online registration form, you can submit documentation through mail, email, or fax. See our Hours and Contact Information
- We require advance notice to coordinate your accommodations. Please see our Timeline for Service Requests for applicable deadlines.
Respond to Requests for Information From ODS
Occasionally ODS will need more information from you or your medical provider to determine your eligibility for accommodations. A prompt response will ensure that ODS can evaluate your documentation and determine your eligibility for accommodations as soon as possible.
Complete an ODS Orientation
After your documentation has been reviewed and approved you will be emailed and asked to schedule a mandatory orientation session with an ODS staff member. Xavier online campus students will need phone services and access to a computer with internet to complete the orientation.
During this orientation you will learn how to request accommodations each semester using ODS Online Services, get connected with an ODS advisor, learn about ODS policies and procedures, and have an opportunity to have your questions answered.
Please schedule your orientation by calling ODS at 504-520-7607.
Request Accommodations Each Semester
During your ODS orientation, you will register for accommodations for the upcoming or current semester. In subsequent semesters, you will register for courses through Xavier and then request your accommodations for the semester through ODS Online Login. It is advised that you make your requests for your accommodations immediately upon registration or in accordance with our Timeline for Service Requests.
Submitting Documentation after the Current Academic Semester Begins
ODS receives documentation throughout the year. If you submit documentation after the start of a semester and wish to receive accommodations for that semester, please be advised that the review process can take two to four (2-4) weeks to complete. After that, you will have to attend an ODS orientation and your accommodations may take time to coordinate. ODS makes a good faith effort to accommodate students as quickly as possible but requests are generally provided according to our Timeline for Service Requests. For students registering with ODS for the first time, applications with documentation received after Week 8 of the semester will be considered for the following semester.