As do most college counseling services, we utilize a short-term treatment model so we can assist as many students as possible in addressing mental health issues that may come up as part of university life.
If ongoing mental health concerns have been identified prior to coming to Xavier, including ADHD and other psychiatric medication needs, you would be better served by seeing a New Orleans community provider who can offer consistent care over an extended time. Our Care Coordinator can help you in finding appropriate mental health clinicians.
Contact our Care Coordinator (for mental health referrals only):
- Call 504-520-7315 or
- Email-Sheila August firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to assist in finding the best mental health provider for you, please include in your email any specific preferences you may have. This can include insurance (if applicable), location, language proficiency, preferred gender or racial identity of clinician, specialties, etc.
Services Offered by the Care Coordinator
- Assistance with identifying appropriate clinicians in the New Orleans community;
- Follow-up check-ins to ensure connection and engagement in treatment; and
- Help in navigating logistical or financial barriers to placement with a community provider.
- The Care Coordinator also acts as a centralized point of contact for students, families, and providers who raise questions or concerns about the referral process or who need access to our up-to-date campus and community referral databases.
Another helpful resource for learning more about community providers is Psychology Today https://www.psychologytoday.com/us. By searching for therapists based on your ZIP Code, you can read more about each provider’s experience, areas of specialty, approach to therapy, and insurance information. Always know that you can phone or meet with more than one community provider to see which clinician best fits your needs. Be sure to ask questions about payment and insurance, location, session time availability, and any other concerns you may have.
Office of Counseling Services
St. Joseph Academic & Health Resource Center
Building #13, Room 202
1 Drexel Drive
P.O. Box D
New Orleans, LA 70125
Hours of Operation
Monday - Thursday: 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Friday: 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM
12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM Closed for Lunch