Volunteer Income Tax Assistance

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Hours of Operation

Open every Monday and Wednesday 12:00 noon until 2:00 p.m.
January 25, 2017 through April 12, 2017

and closed

February 27 - March 3


Room 211 in the Xavier South building (#40 on the campus map)
909 S. Jefferson Davis Parkway
New Orleans, LA 70125

What is VITA?

VITA stands for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance. VITA is a program supported by the Internal Revenue Service  (IRS). For more information, visit the IRS website.

Free Tax Prep & E-File

Xavier VITA's trained and certified volunteer tax preparers offer FREE tax preparation and electronic filing of federal and state returns for the tax year 2016 to eligible participants.

Who is Eligible?

The VITA Program generally offers free tax help to people who make $54,000 or less and need assistance in preparing their own tax returns.

What to Bring

Proof of identification - Picture ID
Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
Both spouses, if married filing jointly
All 2016 tax forms. Some examples include:
All wage and earning statements [Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc]
Interest and dividend statements from banks [Forms 1099]
Form 1098-T from any university you attended in 2016
For direct deposit: Blank check or Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers
Only if you paid daycare in 2016: Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's business Employer Identification Number OR Social Security Number
Optional: A copy of last year's federal and state returns

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I am unable to come to the site during its hours of operation?

To find another VITA location, visit the IRS VITA site locator or call 211 or visit Entergy's EITC website

Does Xavier VITA file prior year returns?

No. Xavier VITA only files the current year tax return. Some other VITA sites may prepare prior year returns. To find another VITA site, visit the IRS VITA site Locator

What if I don't have Social Security card(s)?

Acceptable documentation in lieu of Social Security card(s):

Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents OR
Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance