June 29 – July 31, 2015
Application Deadline: MAY 15
Health Assessment Deadline: JUNE 1
The STEM Scholars summer bridge program is five weeks of intensive study in pre-calculus or introductory calculus combined with residential living, recreational opportunities, and special seminars on college life, study skills, and careers in science and engineering.
By participating in this program, you will:
- Lay the foundation for your college career in a small class setting with some of our best instructors.
- Acclimate yourself to the expectations of college work in a supportive environment
- Make new friends before the rush of fall semester begins.
- Complete required deliverables specified by the program which may include a research paper, an oral presentation, a pre-survey, a post-survey, and final examination.
- Attend all scheduled events including lectures, tours and group activities while at the lab.
- Most importantly, be prepared to start your program of study on track rather than having to catch up later.
Why do we offer a Summer Bridge Program?
Our majors assume that you are ready for calculus, but many of our students are placed into pre-calculus. If you are one of these students, you cannot take many of our science courses until you have completed college algebra. We would rather you get the preparation you need before you begin in the fall instead of spending future semesters catching up. The STEM Scholars Summer Bridge Program is designed to help motivated students "get on track" ahead of time. By limiting class size and providing extra support, we want to give you the opportunity to be successful by participating in this program.
Who should apply:
You are eligible to participate in the STEM Scholars Summer Bridge Program if you:
- Are a new freshman student who will be enrolled at Xavier University of LA in a baccalaureate degree program,
- Are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident,
- Want to pursue a career in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics,
- Have an ACT (SAT) math subscore of 21 or more (560 or more), and
- Want to start your program of study on track, and
- Agree not to be employed during the program and to live in our residence halls.
Those not eligible: transfer students, pre-med majors, or pre-pharm majors.
When and where is the Summer Bridge Program held?
The STEM Scholars Summer Bridge Program will be held on the Xavier University campus in New Orleans, Louisiana. Students may move in to the residence hall on June 26-27, 2015. There will be a program orientation on Sunday June 30. Classes begin on Monday, June 29 and end on Friday, July 31. Students must check out of the dormitories by noon on Sunday, August 2.
What is included?
The cost for the program is $3,276. . Each student receives a scholarship of $2,976 to defray the cost of fees, books, room and board, supplemental instruction and tutoring, and all outside activities for the six weeks.
A non-refundable program fee ($400), travel, and personal expenses are the responsibility of the student.
How do I apply/register?
To apply, print the Registration Packet below, complete, and forward it to: SEMEP Office, Xavier University, 1 Drexel Drive–Box 146, New Orleans, LA 70125; or you may fax materials to (504) 520-7992.
The Health Assessment Form should be submitted to: Xavier University Student Health Center, Xavier University of LA, 1 Drexel Drive, New Orleans, LA 70125.
- Airport Shuttle New Orleans
- Taxis (YellowPages.com)
- Hotels Near Xavier Xavier is about 10 minutes away from the 20,000+ hotel rooms in the French Quarter/Central Business District/SuperDome area of New Orleans. Therefore, even though most of the hotels in that area are expensive ($100 or more a day), we suggest that you choose a hotel there because that area is generally safe and there numerous restaurants/night spots within walking distance.
Additional information about New Orleans is available at the following links:
||WHAT TO DO
|Friday, June 26 or
Saturday, June 27
|Residence Hall Check-in
- Men go to St. Michael Residence Hall
3935 Pine Street, New Orleans, LA 70125 (504-520-7347)
- Women go to Katharine Drexel Residence Hall
7238 Dixon Street, New Orleans, LA 70125 (504-520-7350)
|Sunday, June 28
||Orientation & Registration
NCF Science Addition (room TBA)
|Monday, June 29
Time and location: (TBA)
|Friday, July 4
|Friday, July 31
||Last day of class & Final exam
|August 1 or
|Residence Hall Check-out
All students must check out of the dormitory before 12:00 noon on August 2