Xavier's Biomedical Honor Corps
Xavier's Biomedical Honor Corps is an enrichment organization specifically designed to provide assistance to new freshmen who are interested in careers as physicians, dentists, veterinarians, optometrists, podiatrists, and other health professionals.
Purpose: To increase the number of under-represented minorities, especially African-Americans, who gain entry into medical, dental, veterinary, optometry, podiatry, and other health professions schools.
Services provided: Students in the Biomedical Honor Corps are provided advice and assistance through a variety of activities that are designed to complement the support provided by academic advisers in major departments. Students do NOT receive academic credit for Biomedical Honor Corps participation. The Biomedical Honor Corps provides academic-year enrichment activities for new freshman premeds (and new transfer premeds) who are interested in cultivating competitive applications to medical, dental, and other health professions schools. Activities for the Biomedical Honor Corps include the following:
- Overview of the different types of health professions schools beginning the first week of the freshman year in college;
- Step-by-step assistance in exploring what students need to do every semester, beginning freshman year, to be more competitive applicants for medical, dental, and other health professions schools;
- Guidance in preparing for the Medical College Admission Test, the Dental Admission Test, and similar health professions admission tests;
- Assistance in applying to summer research and enrichment programs that expose students to the health professions and/or biomedical sciences;
- Assistance in writing a personal statement, the special post-secondary experiences form, and other items required for most summer program applications and health professions school applications;
- Systematic medical, dental, etc. school application advising via of a series of group and individual premed meetings;
- Visits to Xavier by underrepresented minorities who are health professions students or already have M.D., D.D.S., and similar degrees; and
- Recruitment visits to Xavier by representatives from a variety of health professions schools and related-graduate programs.
Dates of the program: Activities for the Biomedical Honor Corps are conducted from August-April yearly during a student's first year at Xavier. The Biomedical Honor Corps is NOT a summer program; it is a freshman-year enrichment organization for which participants receive NO college credit. Go to http://www.xula.edu/premed/PMInfo/PMIndex.htm to view the tentative Biomedical Honor Corps meeting schedule and other important information for new freshman and transfer premeds.
- Who is eligible to participate: All freshman premeds and new transfer premeds who enroll at Xavier are encouraged to participate in Biomedical Honor Corps meetings and related activities. New premeds (freshman and transfer) should sign-in with the Premedical Office at their first Xavier registration to receive the Biomedical Honor Corps meeting schedule and to begin receiving advising and informational emails from the Premedical Office.
- Cost of participation: There is currently no cost for participation in the program.
- Scholarships: Xavier's Biomedical Honor Corps is NOT a scholarship program. That is, participants receive no funds from the program. Students interested in scholarships to attend Xavier should contact the Admissions Office directly at (504) 520-7388.
How to Apply: There is no separate application for the Biomedical Honor Corps. The Premedical Office invites all freshman and new transfer premeds who have been accepted into Xavier to participate in the Biomedical Honor Corps. Any freshman or new transfer premed student, regardless of major, who is interested in gaining entry into medical, dental, or another type of health professions schools should be actively involved with the Biomedical Honor Corps. If you have not already applied to Xavier University of Louisiana, please do so at http://www.xula.edu/admissions/.