1 Drexel Drive
New Orleans, LA 70125
- Full-Time Staff
- Quo Vadis Maria Webster, MA, LPC
- Premedical Adviser
(504) - 520-7437
- Part-Time Staff
- JW Carmichael, Jr.
- Director of Premed Program
- Professor of Chemistry
What Xavier students interested in medicine, dentistry, etc.* should do
SUMMER BETWEEN JUNIOR & SENIOR YEAR
*MODVOP = Medicine (M.D.), Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.), Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine, Optometry, and Podiatry. These are the fields for which Xavier's Premedical Office provides advice and assistance.
Things you should already have done:
- Turned in a completed copy of your "High School Info Form". The form can be downloaded from the Premed website.
- Prepared an Post-Secondary Experiences Form, had it critiqued by the Premedical Office at firstname.lastname@example.org, and revised accordingly by YOU. You may download the Sample Post-Secondary Experiences Form to use as a guide (do NOT copy the entries from the sample).
- Prepared good Personal Statement/Career Essay and had it critiqued by the Premedical Office at email@example.com, and revised accordingly by YOU.
- Given faculty members who agreed to write your medical, dental, etc. school evaluations the required items to have letters written AND filed in the Premedical Office.
- Taken a professional picture that can be used for secondary applications for medical, dental, etc. school and sent one (1) wallet-size picture to the Premedical Office for your file.
- Taken the MCAT, DAT, etc. no later than MAY.
Things which you are STRONGLY RECOMMENDED if you have not previously done them:
- Attend a summer program which provides either exposure to the health professions or research experience OR put in time volunteering in a nursing home, hospital, shadowing a medical professional, etc.
Schedule of what you should do and when you should do it:
MAY-JUNE (Main Focus: Complete AMCAS, AADSAS, AACOMAS, etc.)
- Check your email DAILY for important application messages from your Premedical Advisers.
- Take the MCAT for the first (and we hope ONLY time) in MAY; take the DAT, OAT, GRE no later than JUNE.
- Begin actively working on AMCAS, AADSAS, TMDSAS, AACOMAS, etc. online applications AS SOON AS THEY BECOME AVAILABLE ON OR AROUND MAY 1ST!!
- Submit completed applications to the Premedical Office for review at firstname.lastname@example.org per our detailed email instructions.
- Submit requests to the Premedical Office at email@example.com to have letters of evaluation transmitted to medical, dental, etc. schools (detailed instructions sent via email).
JULY (Main Focus: Submit AMCAS, AADSAS, AACOMAS, etc.)
- TO DO NO LATER THAN JULY: Submit your AMCAS, AADSAS, AACOMAS, etc.!!! NOTE: If you delay past this time, there will be a delay in receiving secondaries and having your applications fully reviewed by Admissions Committees for interviews!!!
TO DO DURING FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE SUMMER:
- Study for the MCAT, DAT, etc. if you have to retake it.
- Engage in summer programs or other activities that show a sincere and demonstrated interest in the filed which you are pursuing.
Special Note: Most XU faculty, including the Premedical Adviser's, are on 9-month contracts (from August 15-May 15). This means that many will not be keeping a regular schedule during the summer. If you complete activities on the schedule which has been suggested, you will be okay. If not, you are going to have major problems.