1 Drexel Drive
New Orleans, LA 70125
- Full-Time Staff
- Quo Vadis Maria Webster, MA, LPC
- Premedical Adviser
(504) - 520-7437
- Part-Time Staff
- JW Carmichael, Jr.
- Director of Premed Program
- Professor of Chemistry
What Xavier students interested in medicine, dentistry, etc.* should do
SPRING SEMESTER SOPHOMORE YEAR
Things you should already have done during your Freshman Year:
- Completed ALL Freshman Premed Workshops. NOTE: If you need to make-up any meetings from freshman year, feel free to attend the scheduled meetings for current freshman premeds OR stop by the PM Office to pick-up workshop materials.
- Sent a readable document to the Premedical Office as an e-mail attachment (use MS Word).
- Downloaded a copy of the "High School Info Form" from the Premed website, completed the form, submitted it to the Premed Office, and kept a copy on your computer so you can print a copy if needed.
- Downloaded a copy of XU's Post-Secondary Experiences Form form, completed it, had it critiqued by personnel in the Premedical Office, and kept a copy on your computer so you can update it as you progress through the University. You may download the Sample Post-Secondary Experiences Form to use as a guide (do NOT copy the entries from the sample).
- Prepared a copy of your "Career Essay" (aka "Personal Statement"), had it critiqued by personnel in the Premed Office, and kept a copy on your computer so you can update it as you progress through the University.
- OPTIONAL, BUT BEST DO DO AT LEAST ONE SUMMER YOU ARE AT XAVIER: Attend a summer program which provides exposure to medical fields, academic enrichment, or research.
What to do during the Spring:
- During the first week of the semester, print off your Bannerweb transcript and use it to complete the GPA Worksheet. Be sure to refer to the Assessment Overview before completing your GPA Worksheet. See SAMPLE GPA Worksheet A and SAMPLE GPA Worksheet B for reference. The "Assessing Chances" document is available only in the Premed Office and provides some guidance in determining your progress. Now, consider the analysis of your grades. Are they good enough to get you where you want to go (i.e. in to the school you wish to enter)? If not, think about the changes you can make to improve them.
- Submit items to be considered for invitation into Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honor Society when instructed to do so during the One-on-One Sophomore Assessment Meeting in the Spring.
- Subscribe to Newsweek, Time,or a similar publication and start reading FROM COVER TO COVER EVERY WEEK.
- Attend all individual and/or group meetings scheduled Sophomore Premeds.
- If interested, apply to the Xavier/Tulane Early Medical Admissions Program when instructed to do so during the One-on-One Sophomore Assessment Meeting in the Spring.
- If interested, apply to the Xavier/U of Rochester Medical School Early Assurance Program when instructed to do so during the One-on-One Sophomore Assessment Meeting in the Spring.
- If interested, apply to the Xavier/St. Louis U Medical School Pre-Medical Scholars Program when instructed to do so during the One-on-One Sophomore Assessment Meeting in the Spring.
- If interested, apply to the Xavier/Geisel Medical School at Dartmouth Early Assurance Program when instructed to do so during the One-on-One Sophomore Assessment Meeting in the Spring.
- Check your e-mail frequently.
- Keep your grades up.
- Think about applying to a summer program which provides exposure to the health professions or research experience.
- If NOT attending a summer enrichment or research program, participate in medically-related opportunities (e.g. hospital volunteering, nursing home volunteering, health professional shadowing, etc.) that demonstrate your sincere interest in the field which you are pursuing.
- Prepare to submit the items below in preparation for the fall of your Junior Year.
- Review the Sophomore Reminders document, which was discussed during the One-on-One Sophomore Assessment Meeting, to ensure completion of sophomore year tasks!!!
NOTE: The following must be done BEFORE you return for the fall of your Junior year (and is also listed on what you should do the summer after your Sophomore year). Please take the time to thoroughly consider the message that you want to convey in this documents to the medical, dental, etc. school admissions committees.
- In August, submit your updated Post-Secondary Experiences Form via email to email@example.com, per the email instructions forwarded to rising juniors near the end of the summer. Make sure that...
- It does NOT include any high school activities and
- That it DOES include what you did every summer since graduation from high school--i.e. all jobs you have held since high school, summer programs you attended, etc. It is okay to include what you will be doing this summer.
- In August, submit your updated Personal Statement via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, per the email instructions forwarded to rising juniors near the end of the summer.
*MODVOP = Medicine (M.D.), Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.), Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine, Optometry, and Podiatry. These are the fields for which Xavier's Premedical Office provides advice and assistance.