1 Drexel Drive
New Orleans, LA 70125
- Full-Time Staff
- Quo Vadis Maria Webster, MA, LPC
- Premedical Adviser
(504) - 520-7437
- Part-Time Staff
- JW Carmichael, Jr.
- Director of Premed Program
- Professor of Chemistry
What Xavier students interested in medicine, dentistry, etc.* should do
SPRING SEMESTER SOPHOMORE YEAR
Things you should already have done during your Freshman Year:
- Completed ALL Freshman Premed Workshops. NOTE: If you need to make-up any meetings from Freshman year, feel free to attend the scheduled meetings for current freshman premeds OR stop by the PM Office to pick-up workshop materials.
- Downloaded a copy of the "High School Information Form" from the Premed website, completed the form, submitted it to the Premed Office, and kept a copy for your files so you can use it later if necessary.
- Downloaded a copy of XU's "Post-Secondary Experiences Form" form, completed it, had it critiqued by personnel in the Premedical Office, and kept a copy on your computer so you can update it as you progress through the University. You may download the Sample Post-Secondary Experiences Form to use as a guide (do NOT copy the entries from the sample).
- Prepared a copy of your "Career Essay" (aka "Personal Statement"), had it critiqued by personnel in the Premed Office, and kept a copy on your computer so you can update it as you progress through the University. NOTE: Complete Questions to Answer Before You Write Your Personal Statement/Career Essay to help generate ideas and foster reflective thinking as you prepare to write your Personal Statement/Career Essay (no need to submit your responses to the PM Office for review).
- OPTIONAL, BUT BEST DO DO AT LEAST ONE SUMMER YOU ARE AT XAVIER: Attend a summer program which provides exposure to medical fields, academic enrichment, or research.
What to do during the Spring:
- Check your e-mail frequently.
- Keep your grades up.
- Think about applying to a summer program which provides exposure to the health professions or research experience.
- If NOT attending a summer enrichment or research program, participate in medically-related opportunities (e.g. hospital volunteering, nursing home volunteering, health professional shadowing, etc.) that demonstrate your sincere interest in the field which you are pursuing.
- Prepare to submit the items below in preparation for the fall of your Junior Year.
- Review the Sophomore Reminders document, which was discussed during the One-on-One Sophomore Assessment Meeting, to ensure completion of sophomore year tasks!!!
NOTE: The following must be done BEFORE you return for the fall of your Junior year (and is also listed on what you should do the summer after your Sophomore year). Please take the time to thoroughly consider the message that you want to convey in this documents to the medical, dental, etc. school admissions committees.
- In August, submit your updated Post-Secondary Experiences Form via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, per the email instructions forwarded to rising juniors near the end of the summer. Make sure...
- It does NOT include any high school activities and
- It DOES include what you did every summer since graduation from high school--i.e. all jobs you have held since graduating from high school, summer programs you attended, etc. Be sure to include what you are doing this this upcoming summer.
- In August, submit your updated Personal Statement via email to email@example.com, per the email instructions forwarded to rising juniors near the end of the summer.
*MODVOP = Medicine (M.D.), Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.), Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine, Optometry, and Podiatry. These are the main fields for which Xavier's Premedical Office provides advice and assistance. If you are interested in another type of health profession, please be sure to review the requirements and to discuss your progress toward satisfying those requirements with the Premedical Office throughout enrollment.