1 Drexel Drive
New Orleans, LA 70125
- Quo Vadis Maria Webster, MA, LPC
- Premedical Adviser
(504) - 520-7437
- Part-Time Staff
- JW Carmichael, Jr.
- Director of Premed Program
- Professor of Chemistry
What Xavier students interested in medicine, dentistry, etc.* should do
FALL SEMESTER FRESHMAN YEAR (updated 9/20/07)
What to do during Freshman Orientation:
- When you get a break, drop by the Premed Office and complete the New Freshman Premed Form.
- Pick up a list of special meetings for freshman premed, predent, etc. students.
What to do the remainder of the fall:
- Subscribe to Newsweek or Time and start reading FROM COVER TO COVER EVERY WEEK. (You need this to prepare for medical school interviews and to earn a high score on the Verbal part of the Medical College Admissions Test.)
- Attend all meetings for Freshmen Premeds or equivalent meetings for the Biomedical Honor Corps.
- Check your e-mail frequently because we send 2-3 messages a week and, if you don't get them, you won't know what is going on. This means you have to make sure the e-mail address you have put into the Premed database is valid AND that you regularly throw away junk so you have space for incoming messages.
- By October 15th you should:
- Research information on summer enrichment or research programs. The Premed Office will send informatiuon regarding summer programs to students as they are updated via email. If there are programs that you know about and would like to share with other premeds at XU, please let us know!!
- Visit www.aamc.org for a listing of summer opportunities for undergraduates who are interested in medicine.
- Contact medical, dental, etc. schools that you might be interested in attending to inquire about any summer programs that might be available.
Things which MUST be completed by the end of the FALL TERM (instructions for each will be provided during freshmen meetings):
- You must complete all Freshman Premed Meeting worksheets and submit them to the Premed Office for review.
- You must complete and submit your "High School Information Sheet" to the Premed Office. Keep a copy for your files so you can print a copy when needed.
- You must make the first draft of your "Post-Secondary Experiences Form". Be sure to keep a copy on a disk so you can update it as you go through the University. Download the Sample Post-Secondary Experiences Form to use as a guide (NOTE: This is ONLY a SAMPLE. Do not copy items from the Sample Post-Secondary Experiences Form to yours).
- You must make the first draft of your "Career Essay" (aka "Personal Statement"). Keep a copy on a disk so you can update it as you go through the University.
*MODVOP = Medicine (M.D.), Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.), Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine, Optometry, and Podiatry. These are the fields for which Xavier's Premedical Office provides advice and assistance.