1 Drexel Drive
New Orleans, LA 70125
- Full-Time Staff
- Quo Vadis Maria Webster, MA, LPC
- Premedical Adviser
(504) - 520-7437
- Part-Time Staff
- JW Carmichael, Jr.
- Director of Premed Program
- Professor of Chemistry
What Xavier students interested in medicine, dentistry, etc.* should do
FALL SEMESTER FRESHMAN YEAR (updated 6/18/15)
What to do during Freshman Orientation:
- When you get a break, drop by the Premed Office (NF 108) and complete the New Freshman Premed Form.
- Pick up the list of special Biomedical Honor Corps meetings for new freshman premeds and new transfer premeds.
What to do the remainder of the fall:
- Subscribe to Newsweek, Time, or a similar weekly publication and start reading FROM COVER TO COVER EVERY WEEK. This will help you to prepare for medical, dental, etc. school interviews and to develop the critical thinking/verbal reasoning skills needed for the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and other entrance exams.
- Attend all Freshman Premed Biomedical Honor Corps meetings.
- Check your e-mail frequently because we send 2-3 messages a week and, if you don't get them, you won't know what is going on. This means you have to make sure the e-mail address you have put into the Premed database is valid AND that you regularly throw away junk so you have space for incoming messages.
- By October 15th you should:
- Research information on summer enrichment or research programs. The Premed Office will send information regarding summer programs to students as they are updated via email. If there are programs that you know about and would like to share with other premeds at XU, please let us know!!
- Visit www.aamc.org for a listing of summer opportunities for undergraduates who are interested in medicine.
- Meet with recruiters from health professions schools who visit Xavier and contact medical, dental, etc. schools that you might be interested in attending to inquire about any summer programs that might be available.
Things which MUST be completed by the end of the FALL TERM (instructions for each will be provided during freshman meetings):
- You must complete all Freshman Premed Meeting Biomedical Honor Corps meeting worksheets and submit them to the Premed Office for review.
- You must complete and submit your "High School Information Sheet" to the Premed Office. Keep a copy for your files so you can use it later if necessary.
- Complete and submit the your "Post-Secondary Experiences Form". Be sure to keep a copy on your computer so you can update it as you progress through the University. Download the Sample Post-Secondary Experiences Form to use as a guide (NOTE: This is ONLY a SAMPLE. Do not copy items from the Sample Post-Secondary Experiences Form to yours).
- Complete and submit your draft "Career Essay" (aka "Personal Statement"). Keep a copy on a your computer so you can update it as you progress through the University.
*MODVOP = Medicine (M.D.), Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.), Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine, Optometry, and Podiatry. These are the fields for which Xavier's Premedical Office provides advice and assistance.