Greetings in Xavier Love!
We are delighted that you have supported your son or daughter in making the decision to pursue higher education at Xavier University! It is our hope that you will join us August 16-18, 2013 for an exciting and informative New Parent & Family Orientation Weekend.
What is Parent & Family Orientation Weekend?
This weekend program has been designed to assist you and your family gain knowledge about our living and learning community, give you an opportunity to meet with administrators, faculty, and staff that will be working with your son/daughter throughout their studies at Xavier, and to provide you the opportunity to experience some of our rich traditions at Xavier University – as you are now part of the Xavier Family! Parent and Family Orientation Weekend will conclude on Sunday, August 18, 2013 early afternoon (around 12 noon).
Do we have to register?
No registration is required. If your son/daughter has been accepted to the University AND paid his/her admissions deposit, you are already on our RSVP list!
When is new student move in day?
Move in day for all incoming students, new freshmen and new transfers, will be on Friday, August 16, 2013. Students with confirmed housing should refer to the information provided by the Office of Housing and Residence Life to determine their assigned residence hall and move in time.
Are parents and family members able to reside on campus during Orientation?
Our on-campus housing experience is reserved for incoming students only. For your convenience, we have secured a number of hotel accommodation discounts. As a parent or family member of an incoming student, you can access these discounts by contacting the hotel site directly. Simply provide the agent with the discount code specified and you’ll receive the special rates. Click here to review available discounts.
What arrangements should we make to prepare for Orientation?
Each family may have specific needs in terms of making arrangements in preparing for the move. Some general things you may want to keep in mind are:
- If your son/daughter will be residing in Xavier’s residence hall, please make sure the $100 housing deposit has been submitted and received by our Office of Housing and Residence Life. This will ensure that your son/daughter will be assigned a room for the Fall term.
- Review the “Need to Know” section on the Housing and Residence Life website (http://www.xula.edu/housing/need-to-know.php). This will help you and son/daughter prepare for the on-campus housing experience.
- Make sure that your son/daughter has submitted all required health immunization information and that they are “health cleared” through our Student Health office. Information on immunizations can be accessed at: http://www.xula.edu/student-health/health_requirements.php.
- f you carry health insurance on your son/daughter, access our Student Health insurance website to determine if you quality for a student insurance waiver. The waiver period is only available May 1, 2013 – August 31, 2013.
- Log into Banner Web with your son/daughter and review available Financial Aid awards. You can also visit the Office of Financial Aid’s homepage by clicking here for more information on financial aid.
- If your son/daughter has a documented disability, please contact our Office of Disability Services to ensure that we have the appropriate information on file.
- Talk to your son/daughter about personal safety and their new experience away from home.
What if I have more questions? Who should I contact?
If you need additional information on our Parent & Family Orientation Weekend, you can e-mail our Orientation staff at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at (504) 520-5133.