Xavier’s Ronald E. McNair Post-baccalaureate Achievement Program is designed specifically to help students who wish to pursue a Ph.D. McNair scholars participate in semi-monthly seminars featuring guest speakers and topics of importance for prospective Ph.D. students. Select McNair students travel during the year and conduct research internships in the summer.
What is a McNair Scholar?
Xavier University’s Ronald McNair Post-baccalaureate Achievement Program is designed to increase the numbers of first-generation, low-income and underrepresented students completing doctoral programs.
Xavier McNair Scholars Will:
- Receive extensive graduate school preparation
- Be equipped to successfully enter and complete doctoral programs
- Participate in a seminar series offered each semester
- Attend professional meetings, research symposia, and graduate school visitations Network with alumni who have completed Ph.D. programs.
- Enroll in courses/seminars designed to strengthen miring, test taking and technological skills
- Meet with program administrators 2-3 times each semester for individual advising & counseling
- Have the opportunity to work in mentoring relationships with a faculty member
- Successfully complete research projects as demonstrated by publications of a paper and/or presentation of their research project results
- Attend Grad Fair
- Completed the sophomore year
- Minimum of a 2.75 cumulative grade point average
- Good standing with the University
- Low-income/first generation or underrepresented eligibility, and
- An expressed desire to pursue graduate study through the Ph.D. level
- A copy of the tax information
- A statement outlining your goals, personal ambitions, future plans, and describing as precisely as possible you academic and research interests and needs.
- Faculty recommendation letter
The McNair Program director and assistant director and two faculty liaisons will review completed applications packets and then make selections. Selected students may represent a diversity of majors and may have either junior or senior standing.
Please Note: SOPHOMORE McNair Scholars will be selected for participation in summer research opportunities that will precede their junior year of study.
To apply, please bring your complete application at Xavier South 414.
Application deadline: Feb 15, 2012.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please direct them to the Office of Graduate Placement, 504.520.7633.
General McNair Information
U.S. Department of Education
McNair Conferences Nationwide
(other important links for McNair Scholars)
Incentives and Fellowships for McNair Scholars
Schools Offering Application Fee Waivers
Institutions Offering McNair-Specific Fellowships
Leadership Alliance (Summer Programs/Internships)
Graduate School Resources
Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
Graduate School-Dictionary of Terms
Questions to Ask When Thinking About Pursuing a Ph.D.
National Black Graduate Student Association