What is SuperScholar/Excel?
Are you a rising high school senior who likes to EXCEL academically? If so, then the SuperScholar/EXCEL Summer Academy is for you. SuperScholar/EXCEL prepares African-American youth for college through standardized test preparation and non-credit courses that strengthen the students’ critical thinking, reading, writing, mathematics and oral presentation skills. SuperScholar/EXCEL is a strenuous 3-week program that promotes academic growth and exposes participants to social and cultural activities that highlight the unique flavor of the New Orleans metropolitan.
Originating in 1982 with the initial goal to “engender critical thinking skills in our students,” SuperScholar/EXCEL has expanded to achieving goals of awareness, preparedness, and socialization. This three-week summer program includes 80 students who are divided into groups of twenty & mentored by recent Xavier graduates. The students are from across the US and abroad, including the Caribbean, Japan, Africa, Canada and Vietnam. Participants must express an interest in the liberal arts, social sciences, humanities, business, law or education.
- All participants will be given an SAT pre and post-test as part of the three-week program. They will learn test-taking strategies that will enhance their performance on standardized tests.
- Participants will receive explicit instruction in reading, writing, and math with supplemental exercises in oral communication, developing and making presentations, critical thinking, and reasoning skills. Additional courses include Speech & Debate, Philosophy and African American history.
- Participants will be given explicit vocabulary development instruction, with the introduction of at least twenty new words each week.
- Participants will be introduced to an array of research strategies and methods. They will also receive instruction in MLA (Modern Language Association) and American Psychological Association (APA) formatting and citation style. The top two research papers will be selected for publication.
- All participants will perform community service
- Community Service Project
- Essence Festival Events
- Step Show
- Talent/Fashion Show
About the application process
- Eligible participants are those that will be high school seniors in the fall of 2014
- Program Dates: June 22, 2014 - July 11, 2014
- Final Deadline: May 2, 2014
- Program Cost: $1850.00
- Merit-based scholarships to all accepted participants up to $1350
Contact: Damon Williams, Jr
Director of SuperScholar/EXCEL
Xavier University of Louisiana
New Orleans, LA 70125