Norman C. Francis Excellence in Teaching Awards
The Norman C. Francis Excellence in Teaching Awards are granted to faculty members whose teaching is of such quality that it merits recognition. Criteria for the teaching award include, but are not limited to, the following:
- A strong commitment to students;
- A strong commitment to quality teaching and student learning;
- Excellence in teaching;
- Innovative teaching and learning;
- Exemplary course or curriculum development and implementation;
- Demonstrated contribution to student academic and/or professional development and;
- Definitive impact on students’ lives through intellectual and/or artistic development
Nominees need not excel in each criterion.
All full-time faculty at Xavier University of Louisiana are eligible, regardless of specialty or rank.
Two awards will be made annually, one to a faculty member who has worked at Xavier for six years or less, and another to a faculty member with seven or more years of service. Awards encompass a monetary award and a medallion, and will be given at spring commencement.
Deadline for nomination letters: To nominate a faculty member, please supply a letter explaining why and how the candidate meets the criteria for the award. All nomination letters are due by December 3, 2012 and should be delivered to the Office of the Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs, 206A Administration Building.
Finalists will be invited to submit further supporting materials by March 1, 2013, and recipients will be notified before the April 23th University Academic Assembly. Awards will be given at the spring commencement ceremony.