Sigma Tau Delta: International English Honors Society
Sigma Tau Delta is the International English Honors Society. The Alpha Beta Eta Chapter was founded at Xavier University of Louisiana in 1991. Today, there are over 800 active chapters in the United States, Europe, the Middle East and the Caribbean. Sigma Tau Delta's main purpose is to confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature.
Application The application deadline for prospective members is in January every academic year. Applications are welcome from students who:
- are currently enrolled at Xavier University;
- have been enrolled at Xavier University for at least three semesters;
- have completed a minimum of two additional courses beyond the Core Curriculum English requirement (1000/1010,
1020, 2010) OR two additional courses beyond the Honors English sequence (1023H &
- have earned a minimum GPA of 3.0 in all English courses;
- have earned a minimum overall GPA of 3.0.
Benefits to membership in Sigma Tau Delta include:
recognition for academic achievement, including the right to wear the official honor cord during
eligibility for scholarships and internships offered through the national organization;
opportunities for creative and scholarly writings to be published in The Sigma Tau Delta
Rectangle and The Sigma Tau Delta Review (print journals), The Sigma Tau Delta
Newsletter (online), and WORDY by Nature (the official blog);
- eligibility to earn awards and special recognition for publications;
- the opportunity to present scholarly and creative work during the annual national conference;
- opportunities for leadership positions in the Xavier chapter and the national organization.
Materials (application, transcript issued by Registrarís Office, application fee of $42) should be
submitted to Dr. Robin G. Vander c/o Mrs. Treschere Washington, Division Assistant, Division
of Fine Arts & Humanities (Admin 215B). For the exact deadline and additional information, feel free to contact Dr. Vander at email@example.com. You can also visit the official
Sigma Tau Delta website.