LEAP Summer Scholars Program [SSP] - June 1-28 2013
The Summer Scholars Program (SSP) is a competitive and intensive four-week non-residential honors program for students who are entering the ninth, tenth, and eleventh grades in the fall. Students must currently be in the eighth, ninth, or tenth grade and have a minimum 2.30 grade point average. The program is designed to improve the analytical reasoning and vocabulary skills of the students who are considering careers in engineering, mathematics and the sciences. Students must attend all classes in order to participate and are subject to dismissal if absent for more than three days.
Student applicants must be enrolled in eighth, ninth, or tenth grades this school year
Complete and submit the following:
- Xavier’s Online Summer Program Application Click Here
- LEAP SSP Supplemental Data Sheet Download Data Sheet Now
- Transcript and/or Copy of recent report card (Report card must show at least two grading periods.)
- Summer Program Health Form (Download)
- Application Deadline: April 15, 2013
- There is a $50 refundable deposit required for students selected to participate in the program. This deposit is refundable upon a students’ successful completion of the program and is due by Saturday, June 1, 2013 at the Orientation Session.
Program Dates: SSP will begin with a special orientation for accepted students and parents. Orientation for all participants will be June 1, 2013 at Xavier University of Louisiana. The program will end with a brief closing ceremony on June 28, 2013.
Daily Class Schedule: Classes begin at 7:45 a.m. and continue until 3:55 p.m. Monday through Friday. Lunch will be provided. There will be a maximum daily spending allowance for lunch. Breakfast is not included. In addition, students will have one to two hours of homework each day.
- 9th Grade Session: Algebra I, Physical Science, English, Introduction to Engineering, Multimedia
- 10th Grade Session: Geometry, Biology, English, Introduction to Civil Engineering, Internet Technology
- 11th Grade Session: Algebra II/Trigonometry, Chemistry, English, Introduction to Engineering, Internet Technology, ACT/College Prep Seminars
Accommodations will be made for students already advanced in math at all three levels. The curriculum is subject to change prior to the start of the program.
Dress Code and Behavioral Code: See Rules and Expectations for Summer Scholars Program
Materials: All summer program participants will be furnished with a book bag, T-shirt and all necessary academic materials. Students may bring their own calculator.
Extracurricular Activities: The LEAP SSP is NOT all hard work. There will also be competitions, guest speakers, field trips, etc. The Louisiana Engineering Advancement Program is a non-profit, tax-exempt [(IRS Code 501C(3)] organization incorporated in the state of Louisiana. The primary purpose for the existence of LEAP is to foster an interest in engineering and engineering related careers on the part of minority high school students. To support this end, LEAP is financed by contributions from the private sector, government agencies, foundations, and professional organizations. LEAP is affiliated with the National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering, Inc. (NACME, Inc.), the National Association of Pre-College Directors for Minorities in Engineering (NAPD-ME), the Minorities and Mathematics Network, and the National Association of Minority Engineering Program Administrators (NAMEPA).
PLEASE MAIL COMPLETED WITH TRANSCRIPT BY APRIL 15, 2013 TO…
LEAP/UNITE Summer Scholars Program
Engineering Programs Office
Xavier University of Louisiana
1 Drexel Dr Box 95
New Orleans, LA 70125
Fax materials to (504) 520-7966
If you have questions, please contact us via telephone 504-520-7646 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
ALL APPLICATIONS WILL BE PROCESSED AS THEY ARE RECEIVED.
THERE ARE A LIMITED NUMBER OF POSITIONS!