Summer Study Abroad in China
Xavier University of Louisiana Confucius Institute organizs a Summer Study Abroad in China program each year. The program is usually taken place in the second half of May and lasts two weeks. Participants will visit Beijing and Baoding, where Xavier’s partner school Hebei University is located. During the trip, students will continue to learn Mandarin Chinese, gain exposure to Chinese culture and society, and visit historical sites.
To qualify for the Summer Study Abroad in China program, students must have completed the Chinese language course through the Confucius Institute for at least one semester by May. The following document outlines the criteria for students to apply for partial funding for this trip.
Student participants will have the option of registering (on their own) for the summer FRGN course to receive 3 credit hours.
Prospective applicants must satisfy the following three criteria:
- Must be a full-time matriculating graduate or undergraduate student at Xavier University of Louisiana;
- Must not have participated in the previous Summer Study Abroad in China program;
- Must have taken or be taking at least one Mandarin Chinese language course through the Confucius Institute;
Application Materials Checklist
- Finished Application Cover page
- A one to two page Curriculum Vita (resume)
- A two-page, double-spaced essay that explains the following questions.
- Why are you interested in learning Chinese;
- What outcomes are you expecting from the study trip to China;
- What is your plan in promoting Chinese learning on the Xavier campus upon your trip back;
- What is your career plan upon graduation from Xavier and how will your learning of Mandarin and China study experience help your future career;
- You should also include any other work you have done that strengthens your application.
- A reference letter from a Xavier University faculty other than Mr. Gang Wang, the Mandarin language instructor.
Deadline for submission: Please send your application to email@example.com by 5pm, October 1st. The acceptance and award will be announced by October 31. Student contributions must be deposited by December 15th.
To download the application form, please click here.