Practice questions on the subject of carboxylic acids and their derivatives, posted here for the next hour exam in CHEM 2220, Organic Chemistry 2 lecture, Spring 1998. Note: Due to limitations of the html format, numbers in formulas are given in plain text when they should be subscripts (example: H2O). Please do not do this on quizzes.
1. What is the correct ranking of the compounds shown with respect to decreasing acid strength (strongest acid > . . . > . . . > weakest acid)?
A. I > IV > III > II B. II > III > IV > I C. III > II > IV > I D. III > II > I > IV
2. What is the name of the compound shown?
A. Formic Acid
B. Succinic Acid
C. Oxalic Acid
D. Malonic Acid
3. What is the major organic product of the reaction
4. Which of the following reagents CANNOT serve
as the basis for a simple chemical test to distinguish between benzoic acid
and benzyl alcohol?
A. 5% aqueous NaOH
B. 5% aq NaHCO3
C. Chromic acid (Jones reagent)
D. Concentrated sulfuric acid
5. Which of the following compounds is insoluble
in both water and 5% NaOH(aq), but soluble in conc. H2SO4?
6. What is the major product D of the reaction
7. What is the IUPAC name of the compound shown?
A. methyl-bromo acetophenone
B. methyl p-bromobenzoate
C. 1-methyl-4-bromobenzoic acid
D. p-bromobenzyl methanoate
8. Complete the following reaction equation :
9. Which of the following compounds gives C6H5CH2COCH3 upon treatment with methylmagnesium iodide and acidification of the reaction mixture?
10. Which of the reagents shown gives the following
11. What is the IUPAC name of the compound shown?
A. 5-chloro-2-nitrobenzoic acid
B. 3-nitro-6-chlorobenzoic acid
C. 2-chloro-5-nitrobenzoic acid
D. 4-nitro-1-chlorobenzoic acid
12. A carboxylic acid X is treated with bromine
(1 mole) in the presence of phosphorus. The product of this reaction was
heated with a strong base and then oxidized. One of the two oxidation products
is a neutral compound that reacts with 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine to give
an orange precipitate. The proton nmr spectrum of this neutral product consists
of one signal, a singlet. What is the structure of X?
13. Which of the following compounds CANNOT exhibit
14. Which of the compound reacts most readily with
Here's the Answer Key . If you find any errors, please e-mail our Site Adminstrator or consult your lecture or drill instructor.
Back to | Organic Chemistry | Chemistry Course Materials | Chemistry Dept. | Home Page